Thursday, October 30, 2008

Ramblings of an equestrian

http://www.carolynresnickblog.com/
http://gentlenaturalhorseman.blogspot.com/2008/10/horse-training-cues.html
http://eventing-blog.com/

Nothing beats the rush of galloping down the final turn of the course, the sound of each stride hitting the powdered dirt below you, hearing every huff and puff leading up to that last jump and the ever so flawless take off and smooth landing of eventing.
Equestrians don’t quite have the spotlight they used to, which is quite a shame. I was one of these eloquent athletes for quite some time. Waking up at five a.m. to feed my furry friend then heading back out again at seven or so to do morning lounges and warms ups, dressage and ground training in the afternoon and finishing the day off with a quick run or two around the cross country and stadium jumping courses was my routine it seemed, and I was quite happy with that. The different styles of training always intrigued me. Everyone did things so differently. Some, such as myself, used the natural approach when it came to working with these heavenly creatures. Being firm and letting it be known that you are in control is vital when working with a 1300 pound animal under you or at your side, but it can very quickly become a power struggle and many people take advantage of that power in some not so great ways. Some are straight up abusive.
The natural approach is much more time consuming, but better for both you and your beloved friend in the end. After the training I did with my horse I am able to just turn my head and he will go that way. I don’t even use a bit when I ride anymore, I’ve found that it makes the horse happier and when your horse is happy he’s much more willing to do what you ask of him. I don’t understand why people would choose to use such harsh bits and at time put chains in them as well. They say it gives you more control, but really you shouldn’t have to use that much to get a horse to do what you ask of him.
Another way trainers have gone too far has been in the way they do their work outs. So many people over work theirs horses. Some do it out of selfishness because they have not gotten their fix of horse riding in for the day, while their horse is sitting there foaming and huffing and puffing because of all the strenuous work. Others do it out of nothing more than a power trip. This is so incredibly dangerous for the horse and in some cases that rider. The horse’s muscles can only take so much before they risk injury. So many needless injuries occur and it’s such a shame knowing they can all be avoided.
I seem to be ranting on about this and I think I have said quite enough for now. Plus, it’s late and I’m tired. So, this is the end of this little segment. You will be hearing more in the future on horses and training for sure, it’s a passion of mine and I’m so sad that I have had to give it up. I was training with some of the top trainers in the United States to be in the national circuit, and to know that I was that close and forced to back out do to injury is heartbreaking. But, God has a different path for me and I’m excited to see what exactly that is. :)


*Posted for credit for JRN 212

4 comments:

Me said...

Katie, I loved your opening sentences. The imagery was unbelievable. I could literally feel myself riding down a trail. One of my really good guy friends was a horse trainer for a while (he is a man of many interests, but no commitment; he can't finish what he starts), so I really got to know about horses through him. He also did natural training. It was really scary at times to watch, but I do agree that is better for the horses.

Jesse said...

Well..I'm not sure where to start.

I really liked your blog, it's awesome that you have something that you are so passionate about. I'm so sorry about your injury...I guess that's where we have something in common.

When I had to quit playing Baseball because of my elbow injury, I was devastated, and to this day I still lay awake almost every single night reliving when I used to play, and wondering what could have been. I worked so hard and at the end I had scouts coming to see ME of all people, it was like my dream was coming true, and as soon as it happened it got taken away.

But, obviously it wasn't what I was meant to do with my life, and I have to remind myself that every day, or every time one of my friends get drafted, or I see one pitching in the big leagues..okay so obviously I am not over it haha But hey, I've been pretty blessed and I am taking my life in a really good direction now..just like I know you are.

Besides, whatever happens or whatever you do you're going to be better than great, some people you can just talk to and know that. :)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I just pretty much wrote a novel haha sorry.

Laura Grace said...

i'm scared of horses.

Jessica Swarner said...

Wow! this is really informative. Honestly I had now idea how interesting this sport is.Im really impressed by your thoughts and even interested in this topic now.