Monday, November 24, 2008

Such a little phrase... yet so much meaning





I was asked by Mocha Club to write about the concept of why ‘I need Africa more than Africa needs me.’ Mocha Club [www.mochaclub.org] is a community-based website where members can start a team and invite friends to join them in giving $7 a month – the cost of 2 mochas – to support a project in Africa. Mocha Club's vision is to provide a way for people who don't have hundreds or thousands of dollars to make a difference in Africa.

“I need Africa more than Africa needs me.”

The first time I heard that phrase it didn’t hit me any special way at all. But then the words “extra credit” came up and it suddenly had my attention. I’m ALWAYS down for extra credit! So, I scribbled down the sentence and shoved it in my binder and went about my merry way forgetting about it until today…. the deadline. That happens so often it seems. I’m so drowned by life and just keep going from one thing to the next and not ever getting anything done till the last second. It’s not out of choice, but such is life I suppose. I believe I have gone far off topic, so let’s see if I can get myself back on track here… oh, yes, Africa. It seems like such a simple phrase… “I need Africa more than Africa needs me.”…. but what does that really mean? How does it really hit you? Does it even strike you at all? It didn’t strike me at first, but then I found myself fighting with this in my mind. And I realized something; I am a very selfish person. I am so caught up in MY life and what I’M doing and what I need. Everything is about ME. And even when it’s not about me specifically, life keeps me so busy that I never have time to see outside my little bubble. How does that happen? How do we allow ourselves to even have a bubble? I think this little phrase has opened my eyes to so much. It showed me what I am not really seeing and what Ireally need to see. I NEED Africa MORE than it needs me. Even then that sounds so selfish… I think I have a lot more to think about when it comes to this topic... I feel another blog coming on in the near future...


Share your thoughts in my comments, and even blog about it yourself. Join in the worthwhile cause of recasting the damaging images that force pity over partnership. Come back Dec 1st to see what Mocha Club is doing about reforming that image.


*Posted for credit for JRN 212

No comments: